jerky and meat snacks.
we love jerky and meat snacks! they are great to have on hand, in certain places, and for specific purposes. check out this podcast and post, lots of good resources!
- when these “snacks” are appropriate.
- what to look for and our top recommendations.
- where to keep them.
on the topic of “snacks.”
beef jerky and dried meats are some of the best snacks available. most of us that are real foodies probably don’t’ find it necessary to snack much, if at all. but even if we don’t snack, most of us would all benefit from having some optimal choices available just in case. I know I find myself wanting a little jerky or bacon mid-afternoon, or at home while I’m getting my dinner ready.
jerky and meat snacks are optimal choices to keep on hand because they are extremely nutrient-dense and satiating. they will not disrupt our goals when eating real food – nutrients and nurturing self-sufficiency (metabolic flexibility, fat-burning).
snacks may not be the best term. so let’s clarify snacking.
- we advocate no snacking between main meals while at the same time being easy about the whole process, practicing love and kindness to ourselves. so if you must have something, it’s better to have something that is appropriate. these snacks are relatively non-perishable and perfect to keep around.
- there are situations where it’s midafternoon, i”m working on a 24hr fast, and around 3pm I just want something. it’s a perfect time to grab meat snack.
- snacking is relative. we don’t advocate snacking in between main meals (at most 3 per day). if I’m going for 1 or 2 meals and need something this is perfect.
- also keep in mind, for many of us, especially if we’re eating 2 or 3 meals in a day, some of our meals look like “snacks” because they are so small. so maybe your midday meal look like a handful of greens with dressing and an Epic bar.
also, let’s talk about temptations! if you’re in a situation where there’s a lot of temptation, and you get your hunger triggered, it’s great to have this stuff on hand!!! remember REAL FOOD FIRST! so if you must eat, it needs to be the right stuff.
there ARE situations where it’s perfect to have these – hikes, camping trips, road trips, plane flights, etc., and there are places that are great to keep these things just in case – work, home, office, backpack, etc.
choosing jerky and meat snacks.
when choosing beef jerky and dried meats, use some common sense. we are real foodies to the core, so we basically want meat, salt, sugar, spices and seasonings.
- look for minimal ingredients.
- always avoid the toxic oils, mainly soybean, canola, vegetable, safflower, and low-quality sunflower.
- always avoid artificial sweeteners.
- always avoid synthetic preservatives. this is a tough one because there are many that we aren’t familiar with. if there’s an ingredient you don’t know, google it or ask us!
- jerky preservation should come from the salt and seasonings. even the sugar can initial a mild fermenting process. so it isn’t a problem. if you’re a sugar-phobe then just go for something without sugar :)
- organic gluten-free tamari soy sauce is great! in fact, soy sauce is fermented, so it comes close to being approved. but many soy sauces use wheat and gluten in the processing. organic gluten-free tamari sauce is fermented soy sauce with no gluten.
- gas station jerky is probably not the best!
our top picks for jerky and meat snacks.
- Country Archer. top notch. 100% grass-fed, grass-finished, and naturally-raised animals. the beef jerky and meat bars are great. in fact, ALL their meat products check out. for the best deal we recommend ordering directly from their website. for $20 you get a full pound of jerky! that’s an unbeatable deal! SHT members get a special discount on top of that! check your resource page :)
- Epic Provisions meat bars and jerky. LOVE IT. top-notch quality. ordering on Amazon usually gets you the better deal on some things. check out all their jerky and meat bars here. even their pork rinds are amazing. if you order from their website, $80 orders have free shipping. SHT members get a special discount, check your resource page.
- Epic Provisions liver bites! my favorite! to get the liver bites, the best deal is going to come from their website here. SHT members have a discount code, check your resources :)
- Chomps meat snacks. also amazing. 100% grass-fed, grass-finished, naturally-raised animals. think healthy slim jims. the best price right now is on Amazon check them out here.
there are plenty of other approve options out there, but these are our top picks!
- bacon :) once cooked bacon is surprisingly shelf-stable. I’ve taken bacon with me in a ziplock bag for a weekend of camping and never refrigerated it, and still ate it the following week.
- cured meats :)
- canned sardines. we love Wild Planet. love them!
best places to keep these amazing dried meat snacks?!
because they’re pretty much non-perishable for a good length of time, they are perfect to keep around just in case you get a craving, and it can keep you from eating crap.
- backpack. I always have some.
- purse. when I dress like a woman, I do.
- man-purse ;) don’t carry but if you do.
- the glove box of your vehicle. always.
- at the office! just in case your co-workers bring around the crap! you’ve got a backup!
- at the house!