foods to avoid mini episode
in this episode, we further discuss our foods to avoid, briefly touching on ancestral wisdom, modern science, and our experiential knowledge.
scroll down for notes and links :)
listen and subscribe on:
our focus when eating real food:
- give the body nutrients that it needs for structure, form, and function.
- nurture our concept of self-sufficiency, metabolic flexibility, and fat burning.
- minimize toxic exposure.
what do we want personally?
- optimal body composition.
- to feel amazing.
- optimal performance.
- optimal health markers.
we are cellular beings, and we are made up of trillions of cells which need:
- nutrients for structure, form, and function.
- to be able to detoxify.
- create energy from different sources.
therefore our foods to avoid:
- aren’t sources of nutrients, and/or
- don’t contribute to self-sufficiency, and/or
- have a toxic burden that inhibit nutrient assimilation, or cause other long-term problems.
and from a personal standpoint:
- don’t give us optimal body composition.
- don’t’ make us feel good.
- don’t give us good health markers over the long-term.
- Artificial Sweeteners are Toxic to Gut Bacteria.
- How Artificial Sweeteners Wreak Havoc on Your Gut.
- On the Question of Sweeteners.
grains and seeds:
- Origins and evolution of the Western diet: health implications for the 21st century
- Why Grains are Unhealthy.
- 9 Steps to Perfect Health – #1 : Don’t Eat Toxins.
- one of my favorite books on fats of all time, Know Your Fats : The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol.
- The Definitive Guide to Fats.
- The Definitive Guide to Dairy.
- Dairy – food of the gods or neolithic agent of disease?
- Still Think Low-Fat Dairy is the Healthy Choice? Think Again!